Thursday, March 27, 2008

Focus Interview: 2008

Aftermath Music recently sat down to speak with Focus.... He spoke about his album "Dedicated", upcoming projects, himself as an artist and producer, the Hip Hop game, the Aftermath Releases "Detox", "The Reformation", Epik`s LP and much more.

INTERVIEW: March 25th, 2008

Photobucket

Aftermathmusic.com:
1st off, thanks for taking the time. How are you doing?

Focus...
Thanks for making the time for me… I'm really good man. No complaints..


Aftermathmusic.com:
If you're looking back at 2007, are you happy with how everything went for you?

Focus...
Not really. I beat myself up constantly about how I should be doing more and making bigger moves.. I'm just ready to make the proper imprint on the industry, you know.


Aftermathmusic.com:
What would you say sticks out the most that happened last year?

Focus...
Just working with Bishop... He kept me sane for real. We did some great work and made big statements with the songs we did on Caltroit, the single Feel On It and songs on The Pope Mobile.


Aftermathmusic.com:
You are a producer. Why did you choose to start rapping?

Focus...
To be real, I was always rappin.. I never wanted to be just an artist. I love making the music more then I love writing it.


Aftermathmusic.com:
What are the similarities and differences between the producer Focus... and the rapper Focus...?

Focus...
Same guy, just one has more to say then the other…lol. Believe it or not, the producer side has much more to say then the rapper…


Aftermathmusic.com:
Do you prefer one role in particular?

Focus...
Yes.. I am a producer.. I just happen to rap.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Every rapper brings a different flavor to the table, what do you bring?

Focus...
Reality.. I don't talk the gun talk. I don't make up shit that I ain't go thru.. I talk what I know.. My life. Real shit..


Aftermathmusic.com:
Focus... your album "Dedicated" is out now. What do you expect the fans to get out of the album when they listen to it?

Focus...
I want them to get to know me as the person I am, as the producer I am and as someone they would like to hear more music from.. I did it to get my music out there..


Aftermathmusic.com:
Why did you name it "Dedicated"?

Focus...
I did the lp for my listeners. I spoke about my family, my life, my friends, my music, my world.. Every song was dedicated to someone or something and, as a whole, shows my dedication to my music..


Aftermathmusic.com:
How do you feel about that record looking back at it now?

Focus...
My cd? It was a stepping stone in my career and still is a great vehicle for getting my name and music out there.. I'm glad I did it…


Aftermathmusic.com:
How did you hook up with Raphael Saadiq?

Focus...
Deeq is a great friend of mine and we actually met and vibed due to the fact that he is a fan of my father, Bernard Edwards.

I brought him the song, he heard the hook, I asked him to do and he knocked it out right then and there..


Aftermathmusic.com:
Whats your thoughts on the SP Soul remix for your single "Shine"?

Focus...
SP is a definite talent and I love hearing how different he interprets the songs once he gets them.. It's the same reaction I had when he did that Busta song I had on my mixtape. His ideas are big.. I like that.


Aftermathmusic.com:
What do you think of SP Souls production skills?

Focus...
He is definitely on the right path. The more he does, the more he'll be a force to reckon with in the music industry.


Aftermathmusic.com:
You think you guys will work together on a project in the future?

Focus...
I am definitely open to that… Epik is coming soon!


Aftermathmusic.com:
Tell us about the message you were aiming for with the track "Back When" featuring Little Brother.

Focus...
No message. Just good ol' clean, "back when I was a kid and life was easier" FUN… Everyone talks about the same bullsh*t and I just wanted to steer clear of that as much as possible. We all didn't grow up completely the same way but I spoke about the stuff that everyone could identify with. One of my favorite's on the lp.


Aftermathmusic.com:
What is the concept behind "Dedicated"?

Focus...
No real concept. I just wanted to make a great body of work showcasing my production. It just so happened that I rapped on most of the songs.


Aftermathmusic.com:
This is your first real solo album. Was it a big challenge for you?

Focus...
Not really. Those that know me, know that this is the THIRD solo endeavor. I used to make my own little street lp's but they never saw the light of day except for my peoples. Only thing that was hard to digest was that I really was about to make it available for critism..


Aftermathmusic.com:
What is the next project coming from you that we can expect?

Focus...
Once I see the number of downloads on this one and it's a significant amount, I am going back in and working on "Focal Point : 1172".. this one will be 1000times the Dedicated cd… I promise that!


Aftermathmusic.com:
What about Dr. Dre, Eminem, Bishop, Busta, Stat - are you working on something?

Focus...
Of course I am working on DETOX.. Unfortunately, I never got in with Em, (MTV misquoted me… I said MARSHA not MARSHALL…sheesh). Bishop and I are going in hard on The Reformation and on DETOX. I got a couple songs with the legendary Bussa Buss on his new one coming soon. Stat is my n*gga and we are working on some new songs now… As far as all of them on Focal Point, shhhheeeeetttttt.. They better be on it.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Are there any other outside productions you're working on?

Focus...
I'm working on some projects with Ron Fair but that's about it…


Aftermathmusic.com:
Who`s Ron Fair?

Focus...
Geffen Records Exec president.


Aftermathmusic.com:
What's the status on the G-Unit album "Shoot To Kill"?

Focus...
Ya' gotta ask 50… "Vitamin water, ladies and gentlemen… Vitamin water" (laughs).


Aftermathmusic.com:
How's "Detox" coming along?

Focus...
Great… I'm really excited.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Tell us about the role you're playing on "Detox".

Focus...
Just whatever the doc is open to. I'm sending beat after beat but we are also trying some hook ideas and even concepts.. Nothing more… This I about Dre, not me..


Aftermathmusic.com:
Mel Man is back, Hitman is back. Slim Da Mobster is working on "Detox". Which artists and producers can we expect to appear on the album?

Focus...
Whoever is bringing the heat, Chris. I can't lie. I am just trying to get my presence felt on the detox so I gotta stay "focused".. (no pun).


Aftermathmusic.com:
Is there a tentative date for the album's release?

Focus...
For detox? I don't know a date.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Everybody wants to know what's the status of Stat Quo's "Statlanta" right now?

Focus...
I only spoke to Stat once and we were talking about working… I really don't have an answer on that but whatever is done, I know its Fiyaah!!!! Stat's my n*gga.


Aftermathmusic.com:
What has been holding it back for so long? It's been a while since Aftermath announced it.

Focus...
I really couldn't tell you fam.


Aftermathmusic.com:
The next project everyone wants to know about is Bishop Lamont's "The Reformation". Can you give us some insight as to what this album is going to sound like?

Focus...
Bishop's lp is sounding incredible and that's my honest opinion.. I've heard a lot of his lp. Ask yourself this, if he can give away songs like he did on Caltroit and the Pope Mobile, you think The Reformation would be less then those? Be on the look out for a great great lp from Bishop man.


Aftermathmusic.com:
You also worked with Marsha Ambrosius. What can the fans expect from her upcoming album?

Focus...
We are still formulating the classic Marsha lp but, it's going to be soon… very soon!


Aftermathmusic.com:
What about Tiffany? Have you headed into the studio yet?

Focus...
Tiff and I have worked together and did some monumental stuff.. We will get it in soon enough… Mark my words.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Tell us a little bit about working on Busta Rhymes' new record.

Focus...
Busta knows what he wants and how to attack it so all I have to do is play beats and he grabs the ones he wants and sends me the final product to mix… It's crazy hearing what he does to a beat yo.


Aftermathmusic.com:
You signed Epik to your label. How would you describe your chemistry with him?

Focus...
Epik is just as passionate and hungry as I am so I'm just working with a younger and equally as focused cat.. Our chemistry is automatic.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Who else is a part of your company a.Fam?

Focus...
My executives, Greg "G.5ive" Mayers (C.O.O.), Enrique "Glam" Batiste (Exec A+R), J. Patterson (Marketing & Promotions) and Tyhiem "Ph.D" Cannon. I'm rebuilding the roster so EPIK is the only signee besides myself.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Is Epik's album going to come out sometime this year?

Focus...
I'm going to go in with him and if we have a product he's happy with, then yes… Otherwise, we are working on that perfect formula and I don't want to rush it.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Let's get back to the present, what you like the future of a.Fam to be like?

Focus...
I want to be a great label that holds weight like a major but without the bullsh*t politics. I don't use contracts, I try and use agreements. I don't make my artists go thru the crap majors put artists thru.. I want my artists to stay and be happy they stayed.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Tell us about a typical Focus... day producing or recording a track.

Focus...
Go in to can-am at about 3pm. Me, Ph.D and Oscar, (my partner and engineer) get into our zone either with a game of ping pong or dominoes then, I JUST BANG OUT!!! I don't create for anyone or anything. I just go and hopefully I hit the target.. We try and stay in there until 3am..


Aftermathmusic.com:
Which producers are you currently feeling?

Focus...
Major league.. Just Blaze, Preemo, Dilla, Mr. Porter, D.J. Khalil, Jake One, Avila Bros., Dr. Dre, Black Milk, (my list is big).. Rookies… Siege, Chords, THX, Dready (there are more but right now, names are escaping me)


Aftermathmusic.com:
What do you think of Atlanta, compared to L.A.?

Focus...
Atlanta is my home and I love it but for the music I do, I'm not excepted out there like I am in Los Angeles. I love living there but there is no work for me there.


Aftermathmusic.com:
You're in the Aftermath Music forum talking directly with the fans. How important do you think it is to communicate with the fans?

Focus...
They need to see that we are real people and that we appreciate the love they give. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't exsist. I always try and stay in touch with my listeners. I hate saying fans.. They are better than fans.


Aftermathmusic.com:
What are your predictions for the direction the hip hop game is going to take this year?

Focus...
With Aftermath on the forefront, cats are gonna have to step their games up!! I hate the dummied down bullsh*t these cats are doing so I don't even listen to hip hop..


Aftermathmusic.com:
If you could change one thing about the business what would it be?

Focus...
The people in it! It used to be the elite getting deals, not the muh'f*cka next door that needs autotune just to hold a note getting shine.. I can't knock their hustle but I don't have to like it.. I miss real talent.


Aftermathmusic.com:
Is there anything else you'd like to let everybody know?

Focus...
a.Fam is gonna change the game. Detox coming soon! Reformation coming soon. Focal Point : 1172 coming soon.. EPIK coming soon… Aftermath, there ain't nothing after that!!! Get at me.

No comments: